FaySharpe is an IP Specialty firm and as such the majority of our attorneys are registered to practice at the USPTO
Registered Patent Attorney, Agent or IP Engineer
Required Education and Experience
The ideal candidate is a registered U.S. patent attorney or agent with at least a B.S. in electrical engineering with 2-5 years of patent experience in preparing and prosecuting patent applications.
– Discusses inventions and disclosures with inventors or clients and ascertains whether they are likely to succeed in being granted a patent;
– Studies and analyzes scientific or technical documents, including previously published patent documents, to assess in what ways an invention is novel, innovative or non-obvious;
– Writes detailed descriptions of inventions in precise legal terms which will form the basis for patents to be granted by the U.S. Patent Office or by Foreign Patent Offices;
– Prosecutes patent applications by corresponding with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), often presenting complicated technical arguments;
– Advises foreign associates on pending patent applications in Foreign Patent Offices;
– Advises on enforcement of patent rights; prepare, patent ability, infringement, validity and right to use opinions;
– Prepare patent licenses and technology agreements;
– Advises clients on other intellectual property rights, e.g. copyrights or trademarks;
– Keeps up to date with legal developments in the intellectual property field; and
– Tutors and mentors patent agents or new attorneys.